To get a website online, having a domain name registered is one step, and getting a reliable web hosting service provider to store your files is another step. Most web hosting services companies offer unlimited shared hosting packages that include free domain name registration, for prices varying between $0 and above $5 per month, depending on clients’ requirements.
With over 30,000,000 active domains names, GoDaddy.com is the biggest domain name registrar in the world. The sum of active domains registered via their 10 closest competitors is still less than 2/3 of the the domains registered by Godaddy.com. Chances are high that if your web hosting service provider gives you a domain name as part of your package, it is probably getting the domain name registered via a reseller control panel or an API call from Godaddy.com.
Choosing a web hosting service provider is a bit tricky because you want to make sure that you will get a good value for whatever money you will spend, and there are thousands of companies claiming the same thing: their service is reliable, they provide unlimited support, they won’t disappoint you, blah blah blah… How can you really tell until you have spent your hard earned money and experienced the service? Below are 5 important checks to perform:
- Choose a company by visiting a website with ranking of top hosts based on type of hosting, price, performance and quality.
- Find out how old the company is, the older the better. You can verify how old is a company’s domain name by checking the date the domain was first registered with a WHOIS query at www.domaintools.com.
- Google or Bing for reviews of the company. If you have a ratio of 9 to 1 in favor of the company, it is a green light. Anything else if a red flag.
- Over a couple of days, repeatedly engage the support staff of the company via their live support channels and ask them technical questions to gauge how knowledgeable they are. You can google their answers to find out if what they are saying is corrent. Don’t engage the sales staff, they could easily lie to you because they have sales targets to meet and probably want their commissions.
- Do not rush the hosting service provider selection process unless your project is not critical.
The good news with all of the steps above is that hopefully you will have to go through the steps above once. Once you get a good web hosting service provider. Stick to them until you have a good reason to escape.
If you are new to web hosting and need a professional and reliable web hosting company to start with, consider Speedata Web Technologies. If you want to escape from your current hosting company, we (YES! WE) can shelter you for free for up to one year, until you recover from your previous experiences.